The implications of the Supreme Court case of Mrs Kernott and Mr Jones drew many column inches in the Press. In that case, the male partner went away with just 10% of the jointly owned property. How can you protect yourself from such an outcome?

We can help. When you and your partner have decided to part ways, this is a worrying time for you both. You will be thinking about where you will be living, who gets what from sole and shared assets and possessions and what rights either one of you might have to maintenance. There really is no such thing as a ‘Common Law Wife’ and people do not acquire ‘common law’ or other rights against one other simply because they have been in living together for a number of years.

In 2016, the percentage of babies born outside of marriage or civil partnerships in the UK was 48%. More and more children are now being born in cohabiting relationships. How does that affect you?

We can advise on law and rights relating to the unmarried couple and guide you towards settlement.

You may wish to try to prevent any problems in the future by entering into a ‘Living Together Agreement’ or a ‘Cohabitation Agreement’, where you set out who gets what on a split. We can help you to draft this either by way of a mediated settlement or on a one-on-one basis with a lawyer working with you.